It is always important to check out the buying guide for those things you are yet to use or buy for the first time. The buying guides do act as a pointer in the right direction when it comes to finding what you need. Most of the time, the buying guides will act as time savers when choosing a product that you have never used before. This buying guide is meant to help those people who are yet to use sewing machines understand what it takes to find the right one. In the end, you should have the capability to find the right type of sewing machine based on your needs and good judgment.
- Best sewing machine for beginners on the market
- Types of sewing machines
- Top Beginner sewing machines in 2016
- #1: Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine – Highly Recommended
- #2: Singer 7258 Stylish Award-Winning Sewing machine
- #3: Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable Free-Arm Sewing Machine
- #4: SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine
- #5: Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition Sewing Machine
- Benefits of Choosing the Right Sewing Machine for Beginners
- How to Pick the Right Sewing Machines for Beginners
- Important Attributes to Consider When Buying a Sewing Machine as a Beginner
- Sewing Machine Maintenance Guide
- FAQs of Beginners When Buying Sewing Machines
Best sewing machine for beginners on the market
- Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine Quilting Table, and Hard Cover – Highly Recommended
- SINGER 7258 Stylist Award-Winning 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
- Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine
- SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine
- Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition Sewing Machine
Types of sewing machines
Most of the time, the sewing machines are classified based on the stitch types and the features they present to a person. Here are some of the common types of sewing machines:
- Flatbed Sewing Machine: This machine is commonly used in garment sewing needing the basic stitches such as the lock stitch and chain stitch. It has a large working area to provide enough space for feeding the fabric easily.
- Raised Bed Sewing Machine: It is a raised bed machine that can still handle the lock and chain stitch formation. It is commonly used in facilities to assemble the pre-sewn garments.
- Post Bed Sewing Machine: This machine used in forming the lock and chain stitch at an increased working height. Most of the time you will find it being used to sew shoes or bags.
- Cylinder Bed Sewing Machine: It is raised high enough to a working height of an arm. Its aim is to provide a better working angle for a person working on complex projects.
- Side Bed Sewing Machine: It is commonly used in the chain and over edge stitching. Not many other types of sewing machines can do what it does.
How do you know what is a good sewing machine for a beginner among above types of sewing machines?
A beginner sewing machine is intended for household. So it’s normally follow the flatbed design and classified to 3 groups:
- Manual Sewing Machines: These sewing machines are driven physically by using the foot presser. You can expect that they will have less production and more laborious. At the end of the day, a tailor would really feel tired for using such a sewing machine.
- Electrical Sewing Machines: Such sewing machines are operated by electrical power that drives the machine motor and other components. The cost can be a bit higher as compared to the other types of sewing machines. However, the production time is quite impressive.
- Computerized Sewing Machines: The computerized sewing machine combines the use of electricity with other new technologies. You might find that most of its features will be automated. A software will be coordinating all the automated processes in the machine. You can expect better work quality and less turnaround time with such a machine.
Top Beginner sewing machines in 2016
#1: Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine – Highly Recommended
The machine is for beginners who are looking to work on a wide range of projects. The machine provides a cool range of 60 different stitches. The stitches include the decorative stitches, seam stitches, construction stitches, darning and many more. Selecting the stitches is easy by simply selecting a stitch design from an LCD backlit display screen. It still has a detachable quilting table, making it for adjustments to suit your sewing needs. The use of variable speed controls keeps the new beginner on the right track of sewing at comfortable speeds.
Brother CS6000i offers incredible value for your money today. The manufacturer made sure to offer a manual that highlights all the different uses of each part.
It is among the best sewing machines for beginners since it is easy to use. The beginners can launch their careers in the fashion industry easily by using such a sewing machine.
Most people would agree that the machine is fun to use since most of its features are automated. The automation makes the learning process easy on how the machine works. Its capability to handle many stitch designs is another big plus for many people. It means they can now easily deal with a wide range projects the clients might have in mind.
- Adjust your stitch speed easily by using the speed slide on the controls. You can choose how fast or slow you want to sew.
- The backlit LCD screen makes it easy to view in rooms where there is poor lighting.
- Large working table for the beginners to handle different types of projects, whether large or small.
- The super bright work area makes it easy to work on the dark fabrics. The work area uses the LED lighting system to provide such lighting.
- The built-in arm that is suitable for sewing the sleeves and cuffs.
If you are a person who loves to consider style as a great motivator, consider checking out this sewing machine. It is a two-time winner of the Consumers Digest Award winner simply because of its style and design. Well, it is not just about beauty and nothing more to show for its greatness. The machine has features that ensure it delivers quality stitches, better efficiency, low cost maintenance and improved performance. Those are just a few aspect many people would look to see in any sewing machines for beginners.
Sometimes you might have tight deadlines and the clients are not forgiving, this sewing machine can deliver 750 stitches per minute for you to meet the deadlines. Whenever a person selects the next pattern, the machine produces an audible sound to notify the user about the new function change. This is a precaution for those people who might easily trigger a different function when no they never intended for it to happen.
- Get 100 built-in stitches that can handle different sewing activities that you might have on projects.
- The selection of the stitch designs is simple by using a push-button stitch selection process.
- The machine possesses an automatic needle threader for you to save time while sewing.
- The LED light system will illuminate your work area for optimal viewing when sewing.
- Starting the machine is easy as you can simply use the start/stop button. Then the speed control button helps the user to select the right amount of speed for different sewing needs.
- You can also sew the stitches in reverse by using the automatic reverse button.
This machine makes it to the list of the best sewing machines for beginners because of its simplicity and favorable features. The sewing machine covers up to 25 stitch designs that most people would find useful when dealing with sewing projects. Sewing your buttonholes is now easier as it comes with a one-step hole stitch capability. With this sewing machine, you can create from decorative stitches to even more creative craft projects in your shop.
Since the machine is from a reliable and trusted company, many people would feel safe and the value for their money when using it.
The manufacturer company has been around for a long time to understand the needs of a beginner and that of an expert. Its capability to deliver 800 stitches per minute makes it the top among many sewing machines for beginners. Most would say that it is a basic machine, but still has the right amount of stitch designs to cover a number of projects.
- The machine can deliver up to 800 stitches per minute. The beginners in the field will find it easy to complete their projects right in time.
- Just at 11 lbs. the machine is lightweight and compact. You can easily move it from one room to another without needing any extra help.
- The drop-in bobbin never gets stuck. All you have to do is drop the bobbin, pull the thread and start sewing. This is unlike other machines that might have a complex procedure of setting up the machine.
- Sewing is easier as you can engage the automatic needle threader to work for you. All you need is to position the fabric correctly and let the machine handle the rest.
- The sewing machine comes with many accessories that make your sewing work quite easy.
The Singer 4411 sewing machine is seen to be a true workhorse simply because of its capabilities. It has an extra high sewing speed that can sew through different thicknesses of fabric. It is a versatile machine that can be used on whether you are looking to make a few garment changes or simply start on a whole new project. The speed of the needle threader stands at 1100 stitches per minute. That is enough speed to bring your creative sewing ideas to life easily and quickly.
Without a doubt, the machine is affordable. It offers a great deal for people looking for value. You can easily work with those fabrics that have always seemed to be hard to handle because of their thickness or material.
Being a machine from Singer Company, it is easy to say that you will be actually getting the best product because of the company reputation. Even though some people might complain about the instruction book, the machine itself is quite easy to set up and use.
- The presence of a heavy-duty metal frame keeps the machine still while sewing at those high speeds. If the machine is not tightly held down, you are bound to have poor stitches.
- The machine has a very strong motor that handles different types of fabrics. It is the best machine for sewing thicker fabrics.
- You can be seen as a professional whenever you deliver the work on time since the machine offers 1100 stitches per minute.
- The steel bedplate offers a smooth way to feed the fabric into the machine for even sewing.
- The presence of adjustable presser for foot pressure makes it easy to determine the right amount of pressure to use when sewing different types of fabrics.
This sewing machine is quite sophisticated, even from just looking at its design. It has the capability to handle the simple projects to the complicated projects. It is true that this machine has many features, but setting it up should not be hard even for beginners. Many features sometimes might confuse the beginners, but not on this one. The machine is also said to be lightweight with the capability of sewing through the thick fabrics. You no longer have to buy another sewing machine to handle the thick fabrics.
Weighing only 9.92 lbs. makes the machine lightweight as compared to the other machines in its category. With so many features to offer, someone would think that the machine would be heavy, but that is not always the case.
The machine will come with an instructional DVD that teaches you on how to handle the different features the machine has to offer. If your project might need some quilting, then this is the right machine for you as it has a quilting table for such a job.
- With 100 built-in stitches, there is no project no one can handle. All the stitches are unique to provide the right type of stitch for different applications.
- The machine has a hard cover to protect its inner components. This makes the machine to last for a long time.
- The bobbin Winding System is refined to ensure that as a beginner, you can easily get around using it without too many issues.
- The working area is brightly lit using an LED lighting system. You can work even in dark rooms or dark fabrics.
- The machine comes with a full range of assorted accessories to make your stitching experience better.
Benefits of Choosing the Right Sewing Machine for Beginners
- Save on costs: Finding the right sewing machine should save you a lot of money instead of buying different machines to handle different tasks. Some sewing machines can handle a wide range of sewing activities.
- Ease of use: The user-friendliness of a sewing machine is something a person always considers. You can pick the right type of sewing machine if it can deliver easy to use features.
- Short training period: with the right type of sewing machine, you will not need to train for long periods. You will easily find that sewing is enjoyable when finally you can sew something in a short time.
- Working on different project complexities: The right sewing machine provides you with the capability to handle the different project complexities out there. You will have the capability to handle the complex projects that will pay more.
- Delivering on quality: It is crucial that you deliver quality work to the clients at all times. This is only possible if you get the right type of sewing machine as a beginner. More clients will place orders if they find that you can deliver quality work.
How to Pick the Right Sewing Machines for Beginners
You might now want to take a step further and get yourself a new sewing machine, but it seems hard because many machines seem to give the same features. Here is a step-by-step guideline of picking the right sewing machine.
- What are your reasons for buying the sewing machine? Different people will have different needs for choosing a sewing machine. You can outline on a paper the different sewing needs you might have in mind. The sewing needs will determine which type of machine can really handle your needs.
- Check for the common and highly rate sewing machines: Sometimes it is just always better to go with what people consider as the best. Visit top sites that have reviews of the sewing machines to understand what each machine can offer. Always go through the different machine features to fully understand what you are getting. Sometimes people tend to regret later simply because they did not do enough analysis.
- Comparing the sewing machines: The sewing machines are quite many so, you might have to compare them just to find the best one for you. Many sites that sell the sewing machines have a comparison tool that will help you in checking such features. Compare two or more sewing machines that seem to offer the features based on your sewing needs.
- Where to buy the sewing machines? Now that you know the right type of sewing machine for you, it is time to buy. Of course, you need to find the best place to buy the machines. If you are buying online, consider buying from the official manufacturer website or other top recommended online stores. Alternatively, you could walk into a shop that deals in sewing machines and sample the machines yourself before making the purchase.
- Establishing your budget for the machine: You will have a budget even before you can start searching for the right sewing machine. This budget is likely to change based on the type of machine you find. You should never sacrifice the features of a machine over the price. The budget for a machine that will actually deliver on what has to be done in the end.
Important Attributes to Consider When Buying a Sewing Machine as a Beginner
- You have to consider the number of stitches per minute the machine can deliver. This will heavily influence the time you spend on a project.
- The maintenance costs of a sewing machine. Do not choose a machine that easily breaks down each time it is used.
- The number of accessories included in the machine. The accessories are important to make sewing experience easier or better.
- The store supplying the sewing machines. The store must have a good reputation of supplying the genuine sewing machines at all times.
- The new technology that the company has employed in the sewing machine. The new technology will mean better working capability of the machine.
- Upgrading options are also quite important to keep in mind. You have to think about the future where you will need to include some new accessories to make the machine perform better.
Sewing Machine Maintenance Guide
How to Maintain Sewing Machines for Beginners
- You need to get into the habit of making sure that the machine is covered whenever it is not in use. This prevents dirt and dust from accumulating on the sewing machine parts.
- The sewing machine is made of moving parts that need lubrication. Make sure that you oil the sewing machine often to extend its life.
- Sometimes you can use the compressed air to clean the crevices. These are the hard to reach places on any sewing machine.
- For the electric sewing machines, you have to keep on checking the cords to make sure they are correctly aligned to avoid snapping cases.
- You just have to use the machine properly by following the correct laid out procedures. This will extend the life of the sewing machine. Always consider safety first when dealing with sewing.
How to Clean a Sewing Machine
What you will need for cleaning:
- Disc shape screwdriver
- Long tweezers
- Small brush
Most, if not all of these mentioned items come with the machine on the first purchase. Always keep them safe as cleaning is a regular thing.
- Using the small brush and tweezers, you can now start cleaning by removing the accumulation of fabric and dirt in the deck and other parts of the sewing machine.
- You have to make sure that the machine is off and the needle position is “UP”. This is an extra safety measure to keep in mind. You can now slide the flat bed attachment off to expose the lower deck of the sewing machine.
- Through all this time, follow the manual of the machine that will help you in reaching the hard to clean areas. Here only the long tweezers can remove the lint balls.
- If the sewing machine has a removable bobbin basket, ensure to take it out and clean it and the area around it too. You need to take a mental snapshot of how it was installed or it might be tricky to get it back in its location when done with cleaning.
- Using your disc screwdriver, you can open the needle plate and clean it just like you did with the other places. Do not lose the screws, as you need them to hold the machine together. The cleaning has to be repeated until all parts are covered. Lubrication sometimes might be needed to keep the moving parts from wear and tear.
- Now that you are done with the cleaning, it is time to close up the machine. Follow the manual if it seems hard to close the parts.
FAQs of Beginners When Buying Sewing Machines
Q: Are sewing machines for beginners inferior?
A: What most people do not know is that the experts can still use the sewing machines recommended for beginners. They do not have inferior settings simply because they are for beginners.
Q: Is it hard to learn sewing?
A: Sewing is not hard as most people would think. The first thing to do is find a reliable and professional who will teach you on how to sew with your new machine. You should sew something after a day or two of training.
Q: How hard is it to set up a sewing machine?
A: It all depends on the sewing machine manufacturer. Some manufacturers would make machines that are easy to set up while others that are hard to set up.
Q: Where can I buy genuine sewing machines and parts?
A: Most of the time, the manufacturer has a list of recommended and trusted dealers who can offer the genuine sewing machines and parts in case of a replacement. Or you can just order directly from the manufacturer.
Q: What are some of the important things to consider when choosing a sewing machine?
A: You always need to consider the features that a sewing machine is offering. Sometimes people tend to forget about the features and focus on price.
Q: Do you have to be a professional to use a sewing machine?
A: No one is born a professional. You can always learn and train on how to use the sewing machine until you become a pro.
Beginners will always need a machine that can help them easily master the art of sewing easily. The mentioned machines in this guide should provide you with the best features that will make the training fast and fun too. You might not want to invest a lot of money as a beginner to any new sewing machine. It is why the mentioned machines are affordable, but still provides all the necessary features. Do not worry if you are not good at sewing in the first week because even the experts too had some difficulties when they were learners. With this guide, it is now easy to make that informed decision on the different sewing machines to choose.
You may also like: