When sewing is your passion or is about to become your profession, choosing the right serger is essential. With the following serger reviews, we can help you make a choice since selecting a new serger sewing machine can be tricky. IT’S NOT JUST ABOUT PRICE! The key to a successful purchase is to get the Best Serger at the Most Affordable Price. Then again, there are several differentiation among them which make their selection even harder. Let us help you with all these things so that you can make the best choice.
The best sergers on the market
- JUKI MO654DE Portable Thread Serger Sewing Machine – Highly Recommended
- Brother 1034D 3 or 4 Thread Serger with Easy Lay In Threading with Differential Feed
- SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish 2-3-4 Thread Serger With Machine Intro DVD
- Brother Designio Series DZ1234 Serger
- SINGER 14T968DC Professional – For Professionals User
Allow us to take a step back and explain the characteristics of serger machines. Do you really know what a serger is?
- The best sergers on the market
- What is a serger sewing machine?
- Why our serger reviews are useful?
- Top Serger Sewing Machines in 2016
- #1: JUKI MO654DE Portable Thread Serger Sewing Machine – Highly Recommended
- #2: Brother 1034D 3 or 4 Thread Serger with Easy Lay In Threading with Differential Feed – Best Serger for Beginner
- #3: SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish 2-3-4 Thread Serger With Machine Intro DVD
- #4: Brother Designio Series DZ1234 Serger
- #5: SINGER 14T968DC Professional – For Professionals User
- Benefits of Choosing the Right Serger
- Sergers vs. Standard Sewing Machines: What’s their Difference?
- Features to Consider When Purchasing a Serger
What is a serger sewing machine?
A serger is a far more complicated machine than the standard sewing machine. The most distinctive characteristics of sergers are that they sew, cut seam allowances and enclose the edge all in one step. They do cover stitch, are ideal for knits and stretchy fabrics, can produce multiple decorative stitches, can sew together different fabrics, and allow stitch stretch. They might have up to eight spools of threads, an automatic threading mechanism, an LCD screen, and often do chain stitch and flatlocking.
Their features depend on the model and price.
Standard sergers offer basic stitches whereas more expensive ones provide users with multiple stitches, attachments, features and options. Some high end sergers store stitch settings in their memory.
Why our serger reviews are useful?
Are you trying to choose the best serger for you? Did you check out several brands and models and only got more confused? With ACS Daily‘s serger reviews, we can help you.
- Naturally, beginners want sergers which won’t give them a hard time and will be easy to use.
- Professionals must have the chance to make incredible creations and engage in complex tasks.
- Those who already had a serger and want to get a new one surely want a machine, which meets their needs and is easily threaded.
–> Okay, we take all your needs into consideration as we explore what sergers are available on the market.
What’s important is that you can find the serger, which is ideal for you. What we are trying to do by presenting these serger reviews is to give you the heads up of what’s out there, which things to consider, what to expect from your serger, how to search a serger, and definitely how to choose one so that you’ll get good quality at a fair price. We allow you to get a better understanding of sergers and the differentiations among models, skip the entry level and jump right into choosing the best serger machine which right for you.
Top Serger Sewing Machines in 2016
#1: JUKI MO654DE Portable Thread Serger Sewing Machine – Highly Recommended
This industrial technology 2,3,4 thread serger is one of the top choices on the market in terms of its capabilities and price. It features a color-coded threading system, differential feed, automatic roller hem, an excellent cutting system and a breakaway looper, which makes threading easy.
It allows you to sew multiple fabrics and use a great variety of stitches. One of the best features of this machine is that it includes a safety switch, which allows you to lock the motor when the cover is open. Basically it includes more than the basic features and the only downside of the machine is that it doesn’t do cover stitch.
Still, for its price is a great choice and is righteously rated with 5 stars by Amazon consumers. Those who have used it are pleased with the serger’s capabilities, easy use and performance. These factors make this model our number one preferred serger, too.
VERDICT: If you consider that this serger has amazing capabilities, offers a great set of accessories and features a unique safety system, the price is definitely fair. After all, both beginners and professionals want to rely on a sturdy serger, which is easy to use, and this machine doesn’t disappoint.
Things We Liked
- Stable during serging
- Great knife for smooth cutting
- Easy to thread
- Tensions are easy to set
Things We Didn’t Like
- Limited instructions in the user-manual
- It doesn’t have a coverstitch
#2: Brother 1034D 3 or 4 Thread Serger with Easy Lay In Threading with Differential Feed – Best Serger for Beginner
This is one of the best quality/value related choices on the market. For its capabilities, the price is excellent. Two of its best features are the 22 built-in stitch function and 3/4 thread.
This serger is excellent for beginners or those who don’t have too many expectations. It sews fast, 1300 stitches/minute. You can easily sew different kinds of fabrics, including knits, and create decorative stitches and narrow, rolled hems. It includes a differential feed, is easy to thread and user-friendly.
It comes with a color-coded threading looper, a printed manual and instructions video, 25 years warranty and free phone support, adjustable stitch width and foot pressure, and removable stitch finger. It’s no wonder why this serger sells a lot at Amazon. For its price, it offers more than one would expect, is easy to use and the instructions are bilingual (English and Spanish).
VERDICT: It’s an excellent choice mainly because it consists of durable parts, offers a huge range of stitches and is still priced reasonably. It’s really a best serger for beginner.
Things We Liked
- Great how-to instructions
- Metal snap-on feet
- Easy to set the tension
- Huge variety of stitches
Things We Didn’t Like
- Not very stable
- It’s loud
- Hard to thread
- Lower looper unthreads easily
It is really a great choice. It has a 2-3-4 thread capability. It offers a great range of stitch options, including rolled hems, and has an adjustable stitch length and width. It also features a color-coded threading system and differential feed, optional free arm, and several accessories.
It sews 1,300 stitches per minute and comes with a manual, which includes stitch instructions, and a DVD with an introduction to the serger. Singer offers 25 years warranty for defects, 2-year warranty for electronic components, and 90-days for labor and parts.
VERDICT: It’s actually a fair choice. The brand has a long history in making sewing machines and sergers, and offers warranty. The machine comes with plenty of accessories and has excellent thread capabilities while its price is very low and, thus, a great option for newbies.
Things We Liked
- Easy to carry around
- Great overlocking
- Easy to thread
- It’s a sturdy serger
Things We Didn’t Like
- It’s pretty noisy
- Difficult to set the tension
- Hard to thread
This serger by Brother offers more than it costs. It sews 1,300 stitches per minute, features a color-coded threading mechanism, and has a differential feed with 0.7-2.0 ratio.
It also features a gathering food and piping foot, blind hem stitch foot, adjustable stitch width, and a 3-4 thread configuration. It also has a free arm and a removable table section.
VERDICT: This is an excellent choice if you consider that the serger is inexpensive and still offers a variety of stitching options.
Things We Liked
- Easy to use
- It uses standard home needles
- Smooth overlocking of edges
- Quiet operation
Things We Didn’t Like
- Threads break at high speed
- Not very easy to thread
#5: SINGER 14T968DC Professional – For Professionals User
Although this is a more expensive serger – it has great capabilities and is excellent for professional use. It has a 2,3,4,5 thread capability, offers a great stitch variety, sews 1,300 stitches/minute, is fast, has a fully automatic self-adjusting tension system – which keeps stitches even and balanced, and comes with a threading diagram.
The color-coded threading mechanism makes threading easy and saves a lot of time. You can also easily adjust the stitch width and sew a variety of fabrics and in different combinations. Easy decorative flatlocking and rolled hems.
VERDICT: For its price, it offers great potentials to those interested in serging at home or use the serger in their workshop. Apart from its great capabilities, this serger is a great choice for professionals because it comes with a plethora of accessories. Among other things, it includes an elastic foot, blind hem foot, taping foot, screwdrivers, knife, attachable clean pocket, brush, tweezers, needles, cone adapters and much more. The combination of huge capabilities, excellent performance, fair price and huge number of accessories allow users to use their imagination and make fantastic creations.
Things We Liked
- Tension is also adjusted manually
- Easy to use and thread
- Feels solid and sturdy during operation
- It doesn’t make much noise
Things We Didn’t Like
- It doesn’t have a free arm
- Uses serger needles only
- The PDF files in the CD are hard to read
Benefits of Choosing the Right Serger
The best reason for choosing a serger is to do a cover stitch. This will keep the seams from unraveling, especially when they are stretched. You also need a serger machine to create decorative stitches, enclose seam allowances and trim the fabric in one step. Although sergers are not made for simple tasks, like sewing a zipper, they are absolutely necessary for complex ones and that’s why choosing the right machine is of the essence.
Think of the reasons you decided to invest in a serger in the first place. You wanted to complete the job fast and be able to accomplish multiple tasks – from making a new dress to fixing the torn seams of your t-shirt. So, you need to get a serger machine which meets your current and future demands, but is still on budget. This is the point where our serger reviews come handy. We don’t only give you a full picture of what’s available out there, but also focus on details to make selecting and using the serger simple. Check out here the benefits of buying the right serger.
The right serger will be:
- Faster than standard sewing machines
- Excellent for multiple and complex tasks
- The best choice for stretchy fabrics
- Ideal for different kinds of stitches and will even do blind hem while finish the edge at the same time
- Easy to use, especially if they have a color-coded and automatic threading system
- Useful and not necessarily very expensive
- Sewing both light and heavyweight fabrics
Think about it this way: when you are ready to buy a serger, it means that you are planning to sew more often or engage in more complex/decorative stitches. Remember that the right serger for you might not be the most expensive one, the best one available on the market or the best choice for your best friend. The best choice FOR YOU is the serger, which will meet your current requirements and be on budget. But since you are going to spend money on it, it’s best to read our serger reviews carefully and get a machine with the most capabilities possible. You don’t know what your sewing plans will be tomorrow and you certainly cannot buy a serger every year.
Sergers vs. Standard Sewing Machines: What’s their Difference?
Did you think through the reasons why you decided to buy a serger instead of a simple sewing machine? There are crucial differences among the two types of machines. It’s not a coincidence that professionals would choose sergers over sewing machines. The latter ones are useful for domestic use, and still only to people who actually care to just sew two different fabrics together.
Standard sewing machines make straight stitches and leave seam allowances at the opposite side. This can be a problem since seam allowances fray easily and nobody wants strings hanging out. Simple sewing machines have limited capabilities whereas sergers can cut the fabric as you are working and include a tool, which takes care of the seam allowances. They can be used to roll hems and make both sides look pretty, come with plenty of accessories, and sew heavy and light fabrics together. Sergers are used to overcast and cover stitches, and create decorative stitching.
Attention: Sergers are not capable of simple tasks. If you want a machine for topstitching and zippers and buttonholes sewing, you are going to need a sewing machine too because sergers do not do these things.
The best thing with sergers is that they allow the fabric to stretch without revealing or breaking the stitches and this enables you to do professional work and enjoy remarkable results. Of course, there are differences among sergers and their capabilities and that’s why our serger reviews are important.
Features to Consider When Purchasing a Serger
- Differential Feed: this system has two feed dogs, which are the metal bars that move the fabric under the needle. The mechanism actually adjusts the two layers of fabric feature and controls the movement of the feed dogs since they can move in different speeds. When you turn the differential feed up, the front feed dog moves faster and fabrics do not become wavy. If you turn the differential speed down, you will avoid puckers. It’s very helpful when you want to sew silky and light fabrics (Read more here).
- Automatic Threading: it will make your life a lot simpler because threading the serger is difficult. Sergers designed for domestic use usually have 2 to 5 spools of thread. Two spools help you create narrow edges, but five spools sew heavy fabrics and are used for cover stitch so that the seam can be stretched. Sergers with many thread spools though cannot be easily threaded and that’s why automatic threading is important. You just choose your threads and let the machine do the rest. Threading becomes much easier.
- Number of Stitches: it’s good to buy a serger with multiple stitches and the ability to create curved stitches, too. Though, it will depend on your requirements. If you don’t have too many expectations or are a beginner, hemming and overlock stitches are enough. Apart the basic stitches, you can also get a serger with decorative stitches. For professional work, it’s best to go for cover stitch sergers although these ones are more expensive.
- Number of Threads: a simpler serger will be able to handle 2 or 3 threads. If you want to get involved in more complex tasks, it’s best to choose 4 or 5 thread sergers. Commercial serger machines handle more threads, but you should choose according to your needs since multiple thread sergers are more expensive.
- Attachment: attachments are used to help you create different designs. Ask which attachments come with the serger you are interested to buy and check for upgrades at a later stage. These tools will help you do more tasks with your serger.
Importance of Serger Reviews – Things to Keep in Mind
When you search online or visit a traditional retailer store looking for a serger, you will find many products. It’s going to be a tough choice. By providing thorough serger reviews of the best serger sewing machines on the market, we simply help you put your priorities in order and choose wisely.
After all, such products do not come cheap. If you are going to spend a considerable amount of money for a serger, it’s best to get the best machine possible. Apart from making an extensive reference to the basic characteristics of each product, we also try to draw your attention to special features. Details are very important, especially if you want a serger for professional or semi-professional purposes.
Serger features determine each machine’s capabilities and will help you make the right decision. Take a look of the things you must keep in mind and take into consideration before you buy a new serger.
- Performance: all sergers work fine. As a matter of fact, the most expensive ones are not always the best choice for every single user. The question is how often you are planning to use yours! If you are a professional or plan to use the serger on a daily basis, you need a high-end versatile serger. You will need a serger, which can meet up with your daily expectations and will last.
- Accessories: the good performance of the serger also depends on accessories. Make sure the serger comes with a large number of peripherals so that you can use the machine at its full capacity and for several tasks. This way, you will also know that the accessories are compatible with the particular model. Some sergers also include repair and maintenance accessories (like screwdrivers, tweezers, a dust cover and a cleaning brush).
- Threading: sergers are hard to thread. During our research for the serger reviews, we discovered that machines with needle threaders, color coded threading guides and tweezers make threading easier.
- Brand: there are several brands, which make sergers. Most of them have online sites, which can be easily explored. Some offer online technical support, warranties and how-to-instruction videos. It’s best for you to take an overall look of what’s available in every brand and what each manufacturer offers.
- Instructions: make sure the serger comes with instructional manuals. Some also include a DVD with instructions. It’s imperative for you to have specific instructions on how to use the machine for multiple tasks and how to fix it when it’s not working right. The instructions will help you understand what to do, which steps to take and how to use the serger, and will also be a helpful tool in understanding the usage of accessories.
- Service: some trivial problems are often fixed by owners. The instructions will take you through the steps of fixing simple issues, but how about when the serger is no longer working? Make sure the retailer and/or manufacturer can support you or find an expert who can repair problems related to your serger’s brand and model.
- Budget: serger prices vary depending on the brand and each machine’s capabilities. But you must never forget the limits of your budget. Consider how much you can spend on a serger and then check which machine (at your budget) has more capabilities and accessories. To make your life easier, check out our serger reviews above.
One last advice: try out the serger machine before you buy it. Actually, you should try out as many sergers as you can. When you actually use the serger, you understand whether it is easy to use and whether it meets your requirements. So, don’t hesitate to ask for a serging test. Actually, you should use attachments and different fabrics to check the behavior of each serger machine.
Your new serger will be your new best friend only if you choose the right one for you. Our serger reviews gave you an idea of what’s on the market, the pros and cons of the best products available, and their basic characteristics. We analyzed extensively the usage of serger sewing machines and focused on their distinctions, features and benefits. The price is related to your budget, but also the quality of the machine you get.
There is no need to invest in a high-end serger if your requirements are limited. Then again, if you plan to sell garments or engage in complex sewing tasks, paying a few extra dollars in order to get a more advanced serger with increased capabilities is wise. If you love sewing and just dream of excellent stitch stretch, quick work and beautiful seams, use our serger reviews and get the best machine for you!
You may also like: